Top 10 Reasons to Quit Smoking
1. You'll drastically cut your risk of developing lung and other cancers.
2. You'll cough less and breathe easier.
3. You'll be less likely to develop chronic lung diseases like emphysema and bronchitis.
4. You'll decrease your risk of heart disease and heart attack.
5. You'll be less likely to have a stroke.
6. If you're a man, you'll be less likely to experience erectile dysfunction.
7. If you're a woman, you'll be less likely to have fertility problems or give birth to a premature or low-birth-weight baby.
8. Quitting will help your personal appearance by reducing bad breath, yellowed teeth and fingernails, premature skin aging and early hair loss.
9. If you quit, you'll spare your spouse or partner the dangers of second-hand smoke.
10. If you quit, you'll keep your children from getting sick from second-hand smoke.
Dr. Steven Gay of the University of Michigan Health System
"It's thought that half a million people each year die from smoking-related diseases, making it the No. 1 cause of premature death in the United States," Gay said.
Linda Wasowicz – UPI Senior Science Writer